Work in Progress
This article is a work in progress.
What Makes an Organization?
A faction is a collection of individuals that (ideally) share goals; with knowledge, order, pleasure, power, and/or profit being typical pursuits. Members of the group typically share a hierarchy, traditions, and regulations; none of which are obliged to be complex or strongly enforced.
Types of Groups
- Business Group - These groups are characterized by the use of commerce to achieve their goals, with profit being the typical, foremost goal. They operate within the context of some kind of civilization or legal code, even if they only play lip service to it: compare an honest caravan traveling a trade route, versus a brahmin rancher that secretly colludes with raiders to drive competitors off their land for instance.
- Military Group - These groups are characterized by the use force or the threat of force to achieve their goals, which can vary wildly between different groups: for instance mercenaries motivated by profit vs. regulators motivated by order.
What To Avoid
These are not all hard rules, but serve as a guide. If you follow these guidelines, you will not likely violate the rules or credulity, or simply make something that nobody else would be interested in reading about or contributing to.
- "Fan clubs," or extensions of a single character.
- Large amounts of high-technology and industrial capability.
- Infallible and/or unassailable factions, including perfect "hive mind"-like cohesion.
- The means and the wherewithal to dominate enormous areas, whether they actually do so or not.
- Strong ties, whether friendly or antagonistic, to canon factions.
- Vast communications abilities.
- A significant presence in canon locations.
|Name of group|
|Group type:||Type of group|
|Leader Title:||Title of leader (Default = Leader)|
|Location(s):||Location (and Country)|
|Goals:||Goals of group|